Make a piece of artwork on the theme of Superbugs, how we can prevent infections and how to use antimicrobials responsibly and enter it in our competition!
Read more about Superbugs, infections and antimicrobials here
How to enter
With the help of your parent or legal guardian, submit your entry via the online form as an image or video/animation with a title and short description (maximum 750 characters including spaces).
If your entry is a 3D piece, you can submit a photo of your work.
This website gives some great tips on how to photograph your artwork so that it looks its best!
The competition closes
17:00 UTC 28th January 2022: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 17:00 UTC 31st January 2022!
Making your artwork
For your entry to the art competition you could:
- Draw or create a ‘Superbug’. Here are some examples from the Cardiff University Superbugs project and GIANT microbes® cuddly toys for inspiration!
- Make a painting or a collage of words and images relating to microbiology or illustrate a microbiology story that you find in a magazine or newspaper! Have a look at these example newspaper cuttings for ideas.
- Make a poster, comic strip or a video with messages about how important antimicrobials are to keep us healthy, how we can help stop the spread of infections or how to use antimicrobials properly. Take a look at some of these colourful posters on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website about hand washing for inspiration!
These are just examples, use your imagination and get creative!
Your artwork can be a drawing, a painting, a photo, a video or animation, a sculpture, a fabric creation, or made using any other materials that you like to create with.
See our inspiration page for examples of other Sci-Art.
Check out our Instagram too!
Children’s competition categories and prizes
- 4-7 years (Reception, Year 1, Year 2)
- 7-11 years (Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6)
- 11-14 years (Year 7, Year 8, Year 9)
- 14-16 years (Year 10, Year 11)
1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes will be awarded for each category. A selection of great prizes is up for grabs including art supplies, books, stickers and science-themed toys.
All 1st place winners will also receive their own Swab & Send kit so that they can join the hunt for new antibiotics and fight Superbugs!
Swab & Send are on social media:
Winning entries from different categories will be will be selected by a panel of Cardiff University researchers and staff, you will be notified on February 4th 2022.
Selected artworks will be shown in our ‘ART LAB: Art of Antimicrobial Resistance’ art exhibition in Chapter 19th-22nd February 2022 and receive a prize.
If your artwork is selected for the art exhibition we will contact you directly to arrange drop off (at Cardiff University) or collection of your piece the week before the exhibition. If this is not possible we will display an image of your artwork at the exhibition. If you wish, you may collect your artwork after the exhibition is finished.
We will also select a limited number of images of entries to be printed and displayed around Cardiff University buildings, in addition to being made into souvenir postcards, available for free to art exhibition attendees.
All artwork will be displayed on our website as a virtual gallery. We will credit the creator of the artwork wherever it is used.
Terms and conditions
- The children’s competition is open to those aged up to and including 16
- Only one entry per child is permitted
- The submitting email address must belong to the child’s parent or legal guardian
- All artwork must be original
- The competition is open to everyone in the UK (not open worldwide)
If you have any questions please contact us at ARTLAB@cardiff.ac.uk