Make a piece of artwork on the theme of Superbugs, antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and how to use antimicrobials responsibly and enter it in our competition!
Selected entries will win a prize and be displayed in our ‘ART LAB: Art of Antimicrobial Resistance’ exhibition.
How to enter
Submit your entry via the online form as an image or video/animation with a title and short description (maximum 750 characters including spaces).
If your entry is a 3D piece, you can submit a photo of your work.
This website gives some great tips on how to photograph your artwork so that it looks its best!
The competition closes
17:00 UTC 28th January 2022: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 17:00 UTC 31st January 2022!
- Draw, paint or create a sculpture of a ‘Superbug’ (a microorganism that is resistant to antimicrobials)
- Illustrate an infographic or draw a comic strip with antimicrobial awareness messages (how is AMR spread and what can we do to stop the spread?)
- Sew a small quilt where each patch depicts a new way of treating infections or alternatives to antimicrobials (e.g. bacteriophages, vaccination, probiotics)
- Produce a short video or animation imagining a future with no antimicrobials!
If you work in a laboratory you can also submit petri dish art or microscopy images to our ‘Scientific Images’ category.
Check out our Instagram too!
Adult competition categories and prizes
- Scientific images/Images of research (e.g. petri dish art, microscopy images)
- 2D art (e.g. drawing, comic book art, painting, print making)
- 3D art (e.g. sculpture, textiles, a flickbook, papier mache)
- Photography, video and animation
1st place prizes for each category are £75 (sponsored by the Microbiology Society journal Access Microbiology).
2nd and 3rd place prizes for each category will be a choice of vouchers for £50 (2nd) or £25 (3rd).
Winning entries from different categories will be will be selected by a panel of Cardiff University researchers and staff, you will be notified on February 4th 2022.
Selected artworks will be shown in our ‘ART LAB: Art of Antimicrobial Resistance’ art exhibition in Chapter 19th-22nd February 2022 and receive a prize.
If your artwork is selected for the art exhibition we will contact you directly to arrange drop off (at Cardiff University) or collection of your piece the week before the exhibition. If this is not possible we will display an image of your artwork at the exhibition. If you wish, you may collect your artwork after the exhibition is finished.
We will also select a limited number of images of entries to be printed and displayed around Cardiff University buildings, in addition to being made into souvenir postcards, available for free to art exhibition attendees.
All artwork will be displayed on our website as a virtual gallery. We will credit the creator of the artwork wherever it is used.
Terms and conditions
- The adult competition is open to those aged 17 years and above
- Only one entry per person is permitted
- All artwork must be original
- Please do not submit any images that contain offensive or graphic content (for example, images depicting wound infections) as these will not be considered for the competition or art exhibition
- The competition is open to everyone in the UK (not open worldwide)
If you have any questions, please contact us at ARTLAB@cardiff.ac.uk